How To Fix Wiring Motion Sensor Bar For Wii
Fixing the wiring on the motion sensor bar for Wii is easy with the right tools and a little patience. The motion sensor bar for Wii is a simple device consisting of two LED lights encased in plastic. Contrary to what most people believe, the motion sensor bar does not transmit any information to the Wii; that task is left to the Wiimote. The wire that connects to the Wii is only used to transmit power to the motion sensor. So if your cat got a hold of the wire and it needs fixed, this simple guide will help you repair your motion sensor bar and get back to gaming.
For this guide you will need the following tools:
- Wire stripper/scissors
- Electrical tape
- Soldering gun
- Unplug the Motion Sensor Bar. Unplug the wire from the back of the Nintendo Wii to prevent the wires from shorting out.
- Cut the wire. Make a clean cut to each half of the wire wherever the break or tear was made. This will make two ‘halves’ of the main wire.
- Strip away protective coating. Use the wire stripper or a pair of scissors to strip off approximately one inch of the outer coating. This will reveal the insulating fiber strands (the fluffy white material) and, more importantly, the two wires that you will need to repair. Repeat this step for the other half of the main wire.
- Remove excess insulation. Cut away the white fluffy insulating fiber strands so that the two wires within the main wire are clearly visible. Repeat this step for the other half of the main wire.
- Burn away the wire's insulation. Take the lighter (matches will work as well) and burn away approximately ½ inch of the wire insulation, taking care not to burn yourself. This will expose the actual wire that needs to be repaired. You only need to hold the flame to the wire for a few seconds in order for the protective coating to melt away. Do this to both wires and then repeat this step for the other half of the main wire.
- Solder the wires. Use the soldering gun to solder the wires back together. You do not need to use a lot of solder as the wires are small and don’t need large contact points. If you unfamiliar with soldering then have a friend help you.
- Wrap electrical tape around each soldered wire. This will insulate the wires and prevent them from touching one another or shorting out. Afterwards, wrap the main wire with a fair amount of electrical tape.
- Test it out. Plug the motion sensor bar back into the Wii and power it on. Hit the ‘A’ button on your Wiimote and point it at the senor bar to confirm that it is working properly. If it is still not functioning then check your soldered contact points. If it is working then enjoy your newly fixed motion sensor bar and game away.