How To Fix XP
Ever wanted to know a process of how to fix XP when it has slowness, stuttering or memory issues? Does your computer have programs that freeze or drag over a period of time? There are several initial steps to take before deciding to contact a computer professional. Your computer could just require some simple maintenance steps which could solve your problems and have you running again like new.
- Restart your computer. Restarting can solve many problems in a lot of cases. Sometimes if specific programs previously open are not well written, there can be pieces of these programs held in your memory until a complete reboot. It is advisable to completely shut down, wait a few seconds and restart. This is known as a cold reboot and completely refreshes XP and your computer memory.
- Defragment your hard drive. When using the file systems available for windows XP, files are not completely installed or replaced in the most efficient order on your hard drive. As a result, programs can be fragmented in several places on your hard disk, making XP less efficient. A simple defrag even with the pre-installed windows defrag application is a good way to fix XP in this situation. It is advisable to defragment your hard drive at least once per month. Pick a date and set your defrag application to automatically run overnight while you sleep. This is a simple way on how to fix XP to run a lot smoother.
- Scan for Trojans and viruses. Make sure to always have virus protection installed on your computer. Once installed, set it to automatically fix XP for any viruses or Trojans that may have been installed. Set to scan at least a few times per month to stay infection free.
- Scan for malware and spyware. While surfing the internet, sooner or later, a computer could get infected with malware or spyware. Spyware can be installed by websites or advertisements while surfing the web. To fix XP in this situation, install a software specifically for scanning for malware and spyware. Normally, virus protection does not scan for spyware and malware so you may need a separate application. Scan at least once per week, especially if you surf the web often.
- Repair with windows XP disk. One other suggestion on how to fix XP if any other steps do not seem help is to do a repair install. On the Windows XP cd, there is an application for doing a repair install. It installs all the necessary XP programs without removing your personal files. Start up your pc with the cd in your cd drive. It will give a prompt and directions on how to fix XP with a repair install. When using this option, it is advisable to backup any important files or programs just to be sure.