How To Flash A Cell Phone
Need to know how to flash a cell phone? If you have a GSM cell phone that contains the name of a specific provider, you can unlock (flash) the phone to use on other networks. This will enable you to use your phone just about anywhere in the world, without having to pay a roaming fee.
Obtaining an unlock code
- Remove the SIM card from your phone. Open the back cover of your phone and remove the battery, then take the SIM card out of the SIM card cradle. The SIM card is the small white data that holds your account details. Write down the SIM card number which is printed on the card.
- Write down the IMEI number. This number is printed on a sticker under your battery. If you cannot locate the sticker, you can find the IMEI number printed on a barcode on the side of your phone’s box. This number is a unique number registered to your handset.
- Replace the battery and close the phone. Turn the phone on.
- Call your service provider. Ask them for an unlock code. Some companies will provide this code and others will not.
- Go online to a website that provides a service made to obtain an unlock code. You will have to enter your IMEI number, SIM card number, phone make and model and payment details to get the unlock code.
Unlocking the handset
- Turn your handset on and make sure the SIM card is in your handset. You will see a message that says “Insert SIM.”
- The code that you are given into your phone and press Call. At this point the phone should say “SIM Restriction Off.”
- Take your phone to a store to be unlocked. Some phone stores offer unlock services ranging in prices depending on the make and model of your handset. You cannot unlock a smart phone yourself and it will have to be taken into a store to unlock it. Some smart phones cannot be unlocked. If your phone cannot be unlocked in store, they may have to mail your phone away to be unlocked.
If the unlock code does not work to not enter it more than twice. If you do, you will be locked out of your phone.