How To Follow A Twitter
Learning how to follow a Twitter account is actually quite simple. You will want to search for people you know and respect, who are trusted sources of information. Get your own Twitter account, then start searching for people to follow.
- Create a Twitter account. Visit the Twitter website and click the "Sign up now" button. Enter your full name, choose a Twitter name (which can be your real name or any other pseudonym that is not currently in use), make up a secure password, and enter your email account information. Read through the Terms of Service, and be sure you understand them. Then click "Create my account" and you are ready to go.
- Find people you know or want to follow. From your homepage, look at the top of the screen and click "Find people." Enter the name of a person, band, company, or cause. Then scroll through the search results. If you cannot find the person, either because there are too many names, that name doesn't exist, or some other reason, it will give you the option of searching for your friend via their email address.
- Follow a twitter account via their profile. Once you locate the person you wish to follow, simply click the "Follow" button under their profile picture. If desired, add him/her to a list. You will now see their general tweets and retweets directly on your homepage. If you are using an application, such as HootSuite, or TweetDeck, and someone's name comes up via a retweet or message from someone else, you can click that new person's name to preview their profile. If you wish to start following, look at the bottom of the preview box and click "Follow."
- Follow a Twitter account via suggestions. Use the "Browse suggestions" tab under the "Find People" area that you can access from your homepage. When you see someone who interests you, immediately follow without going to their profile, simply by clicking "Follow" next to the profile picture. Do a search for the hashtags #Follow, #FollowFriday, or #FF, where people list their favorite people to follow. Other tags exist for different circles, such as #WriterWednesday or #WW for writers. You will find new people to follow that way. Access them via their profiles for the "Follow" button.
- Follow a Twitter account via the search function. Search for a more specific subject by using the search box in the right side column of your homepage. Either search for the term as is (e.g. Break Studios) or use a hashtag before the term as one word (e.g. #BreakStudios). Find people who are discussing your favorite topic. Go their profile to preview it and click "Follow."
- Follow a Twitter account via email. If you have set it up in your notification preferences, you will receive an email any time someone new follows you. The email will provide a little bit of information about your new follower, such as name, profile picture, number of tweets, and number of followers and following. There will be a direct link that takes you to that person's page to allow you to decide whether or not to follow back.
Twitter provides an endless source of interesting people to follow. Numerous methods allow you to find these people, so that you can follow Twitter accounts.
Tips and Warnings:
- You also have the option of inviting that friend to join you on Twitter via email, or by allowing Twitter to temporarily scroll through your email contact list to find current users.
- Many people who have their own websites will also list their Twitter profile link right on the page. Click that to be taken directly to the profile page.
- Note: Some people may alter their name, by using or eliminated an middle initial, for example. If you search for them by email, there is a chance that they are using a different email account, simply for Twitter. Also, when searching out celebrity profiles, look for ones that have a green checkmark and say "Verified Account" to be sure you are following the real person. Not all celebrities have done this, though.