If you've bought too many avocados and they're ripening away on the windowsill, you might need to know how to freeze avocados for long-term storage. Unlike other fruit which must ripen on the tree, avocados will not ripen until after they're picked–they ripen within just a few days if kept on a sunny windowsill. Sometimes, though, they ripen too fast and that's where freezing comes in. Avocados really can't be frozen whole or in slices in the hopes of placing a juicy slice on a sandwich, but it is possible to freeze avocados in a mashed form for later use.
To freeze avocados, you will need:
- Ripe avocados (a ripe avocado will be soft to the touch)
- Citrus juice, such as lemon or lime juice
- Ziplock bags, small containers or, better yet, a vacuum sealer
- Prepare avocados for freezing by cutting them in half and removing the pit. Scoop the avocado's flesh out of the skin and place in a bowl.
- Add about one tablespoon of citrus juice for each avocado. Adding any type of citrus juice will stop the avocado from browning once it meets air. You can still use discolored avocado (it won't hurt you), but it might not be as appetizing.
- Mash the avocado and mix the citrus juice in well. Leave the avocados as chunky as you want.
- Place mashed avocado in containers. A great tip to freezing avocados is to freeze just as much as you might want to use to spread on a sandwich. Fill an ice tray with the mashed avocado and freeze them. Pop out the avocado cubes and freeze them in one bag. You can take out one or two cubes as needed.
- If you have a vacuum sealer, freeze the avocado in a container and remove it before placing in a bag to be vacuum sealed. Using a vacuum sealer will give you the best results for freshness and will allow you to freeze avocados for a longer period of time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.