Learn how to freeze dry food to save for those rainy days. Freeze dry food is made when you use a preservation technique to draw water out of food. It is a way to store food to keep it from spoiling. Use it to preserve fruits and vegetables. Freeze dried food will retain its taste and nutritional value for several years. Water is then added back to the dried food to bring it back to its normal state. The easiest way to freeze dry food is to use a freeze drying machine. However, they can be expensive. First try this less expensive method and then decide if you want to make the bigger investment.
- Cake rack or mesh metal tray
- Choose the fruit or vegetable you would like to freeze dry. Avoid using items such as cucumbers or watermelons because of there high water content. Apples, carrots and potatoes are better choices.
- Slice the food as thinly as possible. They should be no more then 1/8 inch thick and all the slices should be the same size.
- Arrange the sliced fruit or vegetable onto a cake rack. Keep the food from touching. Use a rack which will allow the air to circulate around the food, but also keep the food from falling through the wires.
- Place the rack into your freezer immediately after laying out the food. Make sure the rack is positioned to remain flat. There should not be anything around or under the rack to keep the air from flowing around the food.
- Keep the food in the freezer on the rack for the next week to 10 days. The frozen water in the sliced food will evaporate to dry the food. Test to see if the food has been properly freeze dried. Remove one slice from the freezer and allow it to thaw to make sure it is completely dry. If it turns black, then it needs to stay in the freezer another day or two.
- Remove the food from the freezer. Place in bags or plastic containers for airtight storage and keep in the freezer until you are ready to use.
- Remove the freeze dried food from the freezer. Place the food in a bowl and cover with boiling water to reconstitute.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.