Summer squash is a fast-growing and productive plant. It is easy to freeze squash when the fruit begins to pile up at harvest time. This type of squash is one that most people consider a vegetable since it is harvested at an immature stage when the shell is tender and edible. Common summer squash varieties are zucchini, patty pan and yellow crookneck.
To freeze squash, you will need:
- A stove
- A large pot
- A large bowl
- A sharp knife
- A colander
- Vacuum sealing bags
- A freezer
- Boil a large pot filled 2/3 full of water to blanch the summer squash. Prepare a large bowl of ice and water to place the squash into after blanching.
- Cut off approximately 1/4 inch of each end of the summer squash with a sharp knife. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch slices. Prepare quickly to prevent discoloring before you freeze the squash.
- Place the summer squash slices into the boiling water for three minutes to blanch. This process will destroy bacteria and enzymes in the vegetable, making it safe to freeze the squash for future consumption.
- Cool the squash by removing it from the boiling water and placing it immediately into the bowl of ice water for five minutes. Add more ice to the bowl as needed. Drain the squash for two to three minutes before you freeze the squash to make sure all excess water is removed.
- Place meal-sized servings of squash in vacuum sealing bags or zipper freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible from the bag. Freeze the squash by gently placing the bags in the freezer so they don’t smash together. Use the quick freeze shelf if available.
- Thaw frozen squash in a refrigerator when ready to use. Use the squash in cooking recipes that involve sautéing or baking, since when you freeze squash it will be slightly mushy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.