How To Get Along With Gay Best Friends
Knowing how to get along with gay best friends can seem difficult, especially if your best friends have just recently come out of the closet. Like any other friendship, the one you have with your gay best friends will take dedication and hard work. But with some effort on your part, you will be able to get along just fine with your gay best friends.
- Educate yourself. Learning more about what your gay best friends are going through will make it easier to get along with them. Read more about gay issues, concerns, politics and causes. Your efforts will not go unnoticed by your gay best friends.
- Support your best friends. Let your gay best friends know that you support their lifestyle. Make an effort to understand what their concerns and issues are and really listen to what they have to say. This support will go a long way in getting along with your gay best friends.
- Join gay rights organizations and causes. To get along with your gay best friends, you want to really show them that you are dedicated to tolerance and equal rights. Go with them to a few organization meetings and take an active interest in the causes that affect them.
- Never participate in bullying or disrespectful behavior. If you know someone who is homophobic or outwardly prejudice, distance yourself from that person. When you hear someone making a joke at the expense of your gay best friends, step up and say something. Defending your gay best friends will help you get along with them, and ignoring the issue could cost you the friendship.
- Reach out to more gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Your gay best friends will appreciate you effort to get more involved in the community and to make connections with more individuals like them. Plus, the more people you know who are involved, the more educated you will be.