How do you get the back off a Fossil watch? There are three basic types of case backs a Fossil watch will usually have: a press fit type case back, screwed in place back, and a screw down case back.
The tools needed to open a Fossil watch are:
- Watchmakers case knife
- Watch makers screw drivers
- Adjustable case opener
- Soft cloth to lay watch on
- Case holder (optional)
- Paper cup
- Inspect case back to determine what type it is. If it has a series of regularly spaced slots along the edge of the case back, it is a screw down case back. If it has a groove or slot along the edge of the case back and the case, it is a press fit. If it has four screws, one in each corner of the case back it is a screwed in place case back.
- Select appropriate tool. For the press fit case back, you need the case knife. For the screw down, you need the adjustable case opener. For the screwed in place case back you will need a screwdriver.
- Put watch in case holder. If you have a case holder, put the watch in it following the instructions for the holder. If you do not, lay the watch down on a soft cloth.
- Move on to appropriate instructions for each type of case back. In the next sections, there will be instructions appropriate to opening your Fossil watch and its specific type of case back
Press fit case back opening procedure:
- Slip the edge of the watch knife into the slot or gap along the edge of the case back. Make sure that the blade of the knife is away from your hand in case it slips.
- Gently twist the blade sideways. Apply pressure and twist the blade to pop open the case. It's similar to opening an oyster. Once the case starts to open, work your way carefully around the case until the case back pops off. Take care during this procedure not to slip and cut yourself or scratch your watch.
Screw down case back opening procedure:
- Make sure you have room to work before starting. On some watches, the band will not allow access to the case back.
- Remove watchband if needed. Follow the watch's instructions and remove the band if needed.
- Fit adjustable case opener to case back. Fit the appropriate lugs on the case tool into the slots in the case back. It will take some adjusting to get it in place correctly. Patience will insure a proper fit. Tighten it down until it does not slip free. Take care not to slip and scratch the case back or watch. This is where proper fit come in.
- Open watch. Unscrew the case back in a counterclockwise motion until it comes off. Work slowly and be careful; you do not want to wreck the gasket and have to replace it.
Screwed in place case back procedure:
- Select appropriate screwdriver. Make sure to use the screw driver that fits perfectly. A bad fit can result in damaged screw heads which may need professional help to remove.
- Carefully remove each screw. Remove each screw and put it into the paper cup. They are tiny and could easily be lost.
- Gently pry up the case back. Use the case knife and gently pry up the case back.
You have now removed the case back from your Fossil watch. In all cases take great care not to damage the gasket which is under the case back. If you damage the gasket you can lose any water resistance the watch may have. If there is any doubt about the gasket, replace it before getting the watch wet. This could at the very least void the warrantee, at worst it could wreck the watch's internal mechanisms.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.