With a large selection and myriad different styles and brands, knowing how to get the correct replacement drum head can be a bit of a challenge. The process doesn't have to be painful, however. Here is the easy way to get to perfect replacement head.
To get the correct replacement drum head, you will need:
- Your old drum head
- A ruler
- A good idea of what you want your drums to sound like
Once you have got all this together, follow these steps:
- Determine the drum type and size you will be buying a replacement head for. This may seem obvious, but make sure you know what kind of drum you are working with. Is it an eight-inch tom? A twelve-inch snare? If your previous drumhead doesn't have the size written on it, just use a ruler to measure straight across the drum rim.
- Select a clear or coated head. Your replacement drum head can be either clear or coated (with a white, textured surface). It should be easy to tell what style your previous drum head was (if you can see through it, it's clear), but don't be afraid to try something new. Clear drum heads usually produce a brighter, crisper sound, while coated heads give a deeper, warmer tone.
- Choose 1-ply or 2-ply. Just like paper towel, drum heads come in different ply counts, with 2-ply heads actually having two heads laying on top of each other. If you're throwing out your old head, you can cut it down the middle to see if it is 1 or 2-ply. For your replacement drum head, 1-ply will give a clearer tone while 2-ply will give a deeper, more resonant tone.
- Choose a brand. Selecting a brand for your replacement drum head is entirely a matter of preference. Remo, Evans, and Aquarius and the three most popular brands of drum heads. The best method for choosing a brand is simply to try them all out and see which best fits your taste and playing style.
That's all there is to it! You now know how to successfully get a replacement drum head. So, experiment, try new things, and get ready to feel the beat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!