How To Get A Government Job
Many job-seekers don’t know exactly how to get a government job. While many jobs exist, finding them can be time-consuming. It is extremely important to follow directions, understand how jobs are filled, and have patience. It can take a long time to hear back about a government job.
To get a government job, you will need:
- An understanding of the process
- Accounts with the right job search websites
- A solid resume that uses keywords
- Register with websites. USA Jobs is the best website for government jobs in the United States. Go to http://www.usajobs.gov and register for free. You can now begin to search for jobs that match your employment history, education, and skills. Save the profiles of jobs to which you are interested in applying, you will need to reference them as you prepare your resumes.
- Prepare resumes for each position. Most government agencies uses a program called Resumix to scan candidates’ resumes for the desired keywords. This allows them to narrow down a large pool of applicants very quickly. For this reason, it is critical that you go through the job description and pick out the important keywords. Incorporate every keyword that match your background and skills into your resume. It is typically necessary to alter your resume slightly to fit the profile for each position.
- Apply and wait. Complete the application process and submit your resume to each job. Be sure to be thorough and accurate with all of your responses and to check your work as you go along. Once you have submitted your resume, it is time to be patient. Continue to apply for positions and wait to hear if you are in the running for positions.