It is a common preconception that it is difficult to figure out how to get a job with the IRS. When looking to gain employment with the IRS you must evaluate your skills and knowledge in your profession. When trying to attain a job with any government agency it is important to show that you will be a valuable asset to that agency.
To get a job with the IRS, you will need:
- Internet access
- U.S. Citizenship
- Search for job vacancies. Use your computer to log onto the IRS website. The IRS always has hundreds of job vacancies listed on their official irs.gov site. Search through the vacancies to find the position that is right for you. The IRS has entry level secretarial positions as well as more skilled positions. So it doesn't matter if you are an attorney, financial analyst, tax specialist or general engineer.
- Read the special requirements. Each position has a set of requirements that must be met to be able to be considered for employment. Applying for a job in which you don't meet the requirements can lead to disappointment. The IRS is always looking for the most qualified candidates. With that in mind, only apply for positions that you have knowledge or experience of. One common requirement for IRS employment is U.S. citizenship. You must be able and willing to prove citizenship.
- Apply for the position. When you have found a position that interests you, apply immediately. Make sure to highlight all of your skills. A well-written resume will come in handy when applying with the IRS as well. Your resume and application should display accurate information. Giving incorrect or false information can greatly hinder your chances at employment. The IRS does check references and complete background checks. When applying you also want to keep a copy of each vacancy announcement you applied to.
- Stay up to date on your status. Check your application status by logging into the website periodically. You will need your ID and password. It is best to keep note of it when applying. You will also need your vacancy announcement number to see more specific application information. While checking your application status, you could also browse for other openings.
- Apply for other vacancies. The IRS receives applications from so many qualified applicants that you may not attain the first job you apply for. The reason could be that there aren't many openings in your area. Consider taking a job in a different location where there is more of a need for your expertise.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.