If you have pondered on the possibility of how to get a job in a retirement home, there are many points to consider.
- The most important part of your personality that is needed is a genuine interest in and liking elderly or disabled people. If your grandparents and their stories have always interested you and you have taken an active part in helping them in different phases of their lives, or you have helped with a disabled relative, working in a retirement home may be the perfect job for you.
- There are a variety of jobs in a retirement home, and many of them will not require special education. Check on help needed in the kitchen, laundry, activities assistance, and other such positions.
- A very good and much-needed position is that of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). A CNA attends to certain physical and emotional needs of residents. Becoming a CNA does require education and a state certification test (both written and clinical).
- Some retirement homes will pay for the training if you agree to work there for a specified length of time after you receive your certification. Classes are offered at community colleges and vocational schools.
- Once certified, how do you find a job if you are not already obligated to the retirement home that paid for your training? Some training courses will attempt to help you find a job.
- You can spread the word to family and friends that you have completed your training and ask for any ideas they may have as to which local homes to approach.
- Newspaper and online ads are often plentiful as there are usually openings in this field.
- Visit the retirement homes that you might be interested in to see what the atmosphere is like and what their requirements are for employment.
It is important to feel comfortable with your prospective job in a retirement home so that you will be happy and productive and bring some joy into the lives of the residents. Many will show their appreciation for your efforts, and that will be an added benefit.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”