If you are planning to start your own catering business in Tennessee, knowing how to get a license to cater in Tennessee is one of the first and most important steps. This license helps ensure that you are aware of your responsibilities to your clients. This license also helps you gain the trust of the individuals you are serving. Here are the steps you should take in order to get licensed to cater in Tennessee.
In order to get licensed you will need:
- Call your local courthouse to determine which local agency is responsible for giving caterer's permits. Although the Tennessee Department of Health oversees caterer's permits in Tennessee, some cities have varying applications and requirements.
- Request a caterer's permit. You may have to physically pick up your permit, but some cities, such as Nashville, have the application available online. If you live in Nashville, you can downlaod the permit at http://www.nashville.gov/beer_board/docs/forms/Caterer_Permit_Application.pdf
- Make sure that you have all documentation necessary to apply. Normally there is a checklist or paper that shows what you will need before you apply. This is available at the location of the permit.
- Fill out the application. Thoroughly read each and every question. refer to the documentation you have at hand if necessary. There is a possibility that your application may take longer to process if there is incorrect or conflicting information. If you have any questions, it is best to contact the office you received the permit application.
Submit your application. You may have to pay the application fee upon returning your application. The caterer's license application fee for Tennessee is
$250. This fee is subject to change.
- Wait for the results of your application. The officials will contact you on your status of your application.