How To Get Marriage License
Find out how to get a marriage license. A marriage license is required in order to legally get married. If you know what is required in advance and gather the necessary documents the process will take less time. The procedure may vary somewhat from state to state so check with your local county clerk’s office for details.
- Get a blood test, if required. A few states require both parties to have a blood test before getting married. The test must usually be performed within three days of your marriage license application. Bring the blood test results with you go to get license.
- Apply for the license at the county clerk’s office. Usually you will fill out an application with both parties’ personal information.
- Show your identification. Depending on local requirements you may need both your birth certificate and a photo identification. A photo identification can be a driver’s license or passport.
- Provide proof of marital status. If you have been divorced or widowed show the proper documents such as a divorce decree or death certificate as proof of your marital status.
- Be prepared to wait. If you state has a waiting period then you may have to wait a few days after getting the license before actually getting married. In other states you can get married immediately upon receiving the license.
- Use the license within the specified period. States differ in their limitations. But most require you to use the license within 30 to days or you have to reapply.