How To Get A Marriage License
Learn about how to get a marriage license so when it's time to pop the question, you'll be prepared. Marriage is a big step, but the only thing necessary to have a wedding is a bride and a marriage license. All the rest is extra. There are certain stipulations to getting a marriage license, and knowing what they are will let you be prepared and ready to get your marriage license. All of the requirements for getting a marriage license apply to both parties wishing to get married.
- Locate your birth certificate. Each of you will need to provide an original birth certificate document to get a marriage license. This document proves you are who you say you are. This is for your own protection.
- Get a blood test. You may need a blood test to get a marriage license. If your state requires proof of a blood test, documentation of the results is required to get a marriage license. The state wants to ensure marriage license applicants do not have certain diseases. Each state has its own laws so check on this requirement.
- Be the correct age. Each state also has age requirements to get a marriage license. In some states the legal age of marriage is eighteen. Other states have lower age requirements. Check your state to know what the age is.
- Go to your state's website. Each state has their own requirements for what is needed to get a marriage license. These requirements can include being the right age, having the results of your blood tests, a waiting period between applying for the marriage license and when it is issued to you, and fees to get the marriage license.
- Visit the country clerk's office. To apply for the marriage license, go the county clerk's office in the county where you will get married. Be sure to call ahead of time so you can take along all of the correct documentation. These can vary as well as the fees.