As it is a fundamental nutrient to a healthy body, it's important to know how to get more iron in your diet. If you don't get enough iron in your diet, you could end up with anemia. This occurs when your blood does not have enough hemoglobin. The easiest way to cure it is with an iron-rich diet. This can be a bit more difficult to do if you are a vegetarian. But, plenty of non-meat foods also help you get more iron in your diet.
- Eat more meat. The body actually absorbs iron best from meat. Obviously, this is not going to work if you are a vegetarian. Eating meat with vegetables, such as broccoli, actually help your body absorb more of the iron from those foods. All kinds of red meat (especially liver) and seafood are recommended to raise iron levels.
- Increase your consumption of spinach and broccoli. Both of these vegetables are high in iron. Eat them with red meat to increase iron levels even more.
- Eat more dried fruits. In particular, dried apricots, raisins and prunes are high in iron. They are easy to add to your diet by just putting them in oatmeal or eating them as a snack.
- Increase your consumption of vitamin C while eating other iron-rich foods. Taking a vitamin C supplement or drinking beverages that are high in vitamin C will actually let you get more iron from the foods that you are eating.
- Avoid certain foods while eating iron-rich foods. These foods include coffee, egg whites, soy, fiber and milk. They actually block the absorption of iron.
- Take iron supplements. It's best to try to get more iron in your diet. But, if you are unable to get enough, try taking iron supplements.
Consult your doctor before taking any supplements.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.