Learning how to get an offshore rig job can lead you into one of the most unique and exciting career paths in the world. Surprisingly, getting a position aboard an oil rig doesn't require much experience, but it does take some knowledge of the industry. Here are some key steps toward getting informed and landing a job on an offshore rig.
- Determine which region you would like to work in. Jobs on offshore oil rigs exist across the globe, so your first step is to think about where you would like to work. The most prominent area of drilling is the North Sea on Europe's upper continental shelf. Opportunities are also available in Asia, Africa, and the Americas.
- Learn about the various positions available on a rig. Becoming knowledgeable about the different jobs aboard an offshore rig will help you seem experienced and valuable to employers. Most new hires start a roustabouts, a general maintenance and cleaning hand who can then move up the ranks of the rig. Also think about specific areas you are experienced in that could make you a more valuable staff member such as chemistry, excavation, or cooking.
- Try to secure a tour of an offshore oil rig. If you still think an oil drilling job is right for you, try to actually get on board a rig. This will help you be more knowledgeable about the inner workings of an oil drilling operation and may help you establish valuable contacts that can help you land a job.
- Prepare your resume and CV. Create both a resume and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to showcase your skills and experiences that will attract potential employers. In case you didn't know, a CV usually elaborates on educational and occupational history much more thoroughly than a resume. While a resume should usually be kept to one page, a CV will probably span many pages.
- Find an employment agent. When you're looking to get an offshore rig job, trying to deal with oil or drilling companies directly is a lost cause. You'll end up frustrated and ignored, so your best option is to find an employment agent who can put your information in the hands of the drilling companies. A number of these agencies can be found online. Do some research to find trustworthy and worthwhile agents and you will be well on your way to landing an offshore oil rig job.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …