No matter how long it lasted or when it happened, you may still be struggling on how to get over your first love. This relationship may have had a real impact on you, and it can even affect the way that you approach and carry on future relationships. The key is to make sure that you learned something and then you can begin to work on getting over your first love.
- Be sure that things are over. If this is a recent occurrence, it may be even more difficult to get over your first love. It is best to make sure that there is nothing left before moving on to the next relationship.
- Distance yourself from her. Seeing your first love over and over can just make the pain more difficult to deal with. Go to new places. Hang out with friends that you may have been neglecting. Don't torture yourself by continually showing up where she is going to be.
- Don't just sit around and think about it. While you may just want to hang out at home doing nothing while you get over your first love, things will be much easier if you get out of the house and try to engage yourself in activities. The busier you are, the less time you will have to think of what might have been.
- Remove reminders from the relationship. If she kept some things at your house, be sure to return them as soon as possible. If the two of you have a mutual friend, ask that person to take care of the exchange. If there are letters, emails, pictures or other items that are preventing you from getting over your first love, get them out of sight. Some people want things gone completely and end up throwing most of it in the trash. If you find yourself a little more sentimental, keep the items, but put them in a box and as far out of reach as possible.
- Open yourself up to a new relationship. One of the best ways to get over your first love is to put yourself back out there. You don't have to be looking for a soulmate and you don't want to find someone that looks just like her. Just casually place yourself back in the dating landscape. Enjoy spending time with other women.
Once you move on with your life, you will be in control and know exactly how to get over your first love.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.