You will want to know how to get a restraining order against someone in Ohio if you are being harassed, abused, stalked, or threatened. In the state of Ohio, it is not called a restraining order, but a protection order. There are two types of protection orders in Ohio; one is for domestic violence, and the other is for a stalking or sexually-oriented offense protection order.
- Locate the protective order forms. The forms are available at the civil clerk’s office at the courthouse, online, and at most women’s shelters in Ohio.
- Complete the petition request. You will need to write down all of the events that have happened, and why you are requesting to get a restraining order in Ohio. The form must be notarized, and you will need to provide your contact information so the courts can reach you. You have the option of leaving the contact information blank on the form, but you must ask the court clerk how to keep your location confidential.
- Take information about the abuser with you. It will help the courts if you provide them with a photo, phone numbers, addresses, employment information, car type and a license plate number from the car of your abuser. Also let them know if the abuser owns any guns or has a history of drugs or violence.
- An ex parte hearing may be requested. A judge will look over your paperwork and may want to speak with you to get more information. This is called an ex parte hearing. After this hearing, the judge will decide if he will issue a temporary restraining order or protection order that will last until the date of the full hearing.
- Attend the court hearing. You will need to prove your case at the hearing. If possible, hire an attorney to help you with your case. The abuser will also attend and has the right to a defense against the allegations.
- The judge will decide. The judge will make a final decision and either let the temporary restraining order expire or issue a full protection order which lasts for five years in the state of Ohio.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.