If you’re tired of being that guy who keeps his shirt on at the beach and are desperate to learn how to get rid of back fat, your best bet is to heed the age old diet advice to “move more and eat less.” Maybe it doesn't sound ground-breaking, but neither does buying your T-shirts one size up to conceal your love handles.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to target specific areas on your body to lose fat other than resorting to costly and painful liposuction. Just as our body decides where to store fat, it also decides where to lose it from. Your best plan of attack to get rid of back fat is to shed overall body fat, and by implementing basic exercise routines and nutritional changes, you can boost your body’s breakdown of fatty tissue and enhance your metabolism for optimum body fat loss, and ultimately back fat loss.
The only tools you’ll need to lose back fat are the following:
- A gym membership, or access to free weights and a place to run
- A fridge stocked with healthy foods
- The drive and motivation to make a positive life change
- First, get up and get moving. For pure fat loss, your body needs cardiovascular exercise to build a faster, more efficient metabolism, and one of the best ways to do this is through high intensity interval training (HIIT). A HIIT session is a short, yet very intense cardiovascular workout lasting no more than 30 minutes. In a HIIT session, you begin with a light warm-up, followed by alternating intervals of medium and high intensity exercise, followed by a cool down session. For example, you could alternate jogging at about half of your maximum heart rate for two minutes, followed by sprinting at your top maximum heart rate for one minute. With intervals it’s all about monitoring your heart rate at the right intensity to be sure you’re in your body’s fat burning zone. Most gym cardio equipment comes equipped with heart monitoring sensors, or you can purchase your own at a sporting goods retailer. A word of caution: Avoid trying to do too much too soon. You risk burnout or worse, injuring yourself.
- Next, build muscle to shed fat. Again, while you can’t target specific areas for fat loss, you can strengthen underlying muscles which will help tone and keep you trim all over. For allover back fat loss, you could try doing sets on your gym’s rowing machine, or if it’s lower back fat that’s specifically plaguing you, consider a core strengthening class such as Pilates to help trim your midsection. Resistance training has other added benefits: Since muscle tissue is the most metabolically active tissue we have, the bigger the muscle, the bigger the caloric burn. The bigger the caloric burn, the bigger the overall fat loss. So build that muscle!
- Lastly, give your fridge a makeover. While exercising is important, you cannot lose fat without eating a healthy diet. Each pound of body fat is roughly 3,500 stored calories, so in order to lose a pound of fat a week, you need to create a deficit of 500 calories daily via nutrition and exercise. Losing stored body fat is really all in that simple equation. Start by making small changes: switching out unrefined carbohydrates for whole grains, and adding more protein and fiber rich foods to your diet such as lean meats and vegetables. Keep healthy snacks on hand for when hunger strikes occur, and drink plenty of water. With a proper diet, you should never be hungry. A word of caution: The American Heart Association recommends losing between one to two pounds of fat per week, anything more could result in loss of muscle mass and thus a slowing of your metabolism.
By implementing these fat burning steps, it won’t be long before your back fat melts away and you're back to buying the right size T-shirt. Or instead, of course you can continue sitting on your couch eating nachos, just be sure to have your plastic surgeon’s office on speed dial!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."