There are a number of ways to get rid of a bad taste in your mouth. This annoying problem can be caused by actual halitosis or dental problems, the ailments periodontitis or gingivitis, reflux disease, heartburn, poor oral hygiene, a side effect of a medication you are taking, or a number of other reasons.
The important thing that you care about is how to remedy this distasteful situation.
- Brush your tongue every time you brush your teeth. Brush twice a day to avoid formation of plaque, which may be adding to that taste.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your toothbrush to neutralize the acid, which leaves a cleaner taste.
- Rinse your mouth with a solution of 8 ounces of water and a teaspoon of salt or 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Floss regularly to dislodge bits of food that have stuck to your gums and teeth.
- Drink lots of water because a dry mouth can be a smelly mouth.
- Chewing gum stimulates saliva production. Use a gum sweetened with xylitol, a sugar substitute that keeps bacteria from multiplying .
- Small amounts of cinnamon or cloves gives temporary relief.
- Lemonade, citrus juices, and foods marinated in vinegar usually will break through the taste and help produce saliva to help wash away the taste. A diet of mostly fruits and vegetables will aid with halitosis as well as the bad taste.
- If the bad taste is caused by a medication (and you can see if that is listed as one of the side effects), ask your doctor to prescribe something else or read the labels carefully on over-the-counter choices.
- If you are on a low-carb diet, the body is breaking down fats instead of carbs for energy. But this creates ketones. which smell bad. Eat fruits like apples or bananas which are naturally rich in carbs.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.