How To Get Rid Of Constipation
Asking someone in person how to get rid of constipation can often be embarrassing or feel intimidating. However, constipation is a common problem with many people and can be a very serious problem if it is not properly treated. There are several things that can be done at home to get rid of constipation. A medical professional should be consulted if you are unable to get rid of constipation after a week.
Steps to Take to Get Rid of Constipation
- Relax. Stress and frustration can lead to constipation. Reducing stress will help to get rid of constipation and help prevent further problems.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Dehydration and lack of fluids in the body can cause constipation. Be sure to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of clear liquids daily – such as water and fruit juice.
- Get up and move around. Sitting in the same position for long periods of time can cause constipation. Be sure to get up and move around. If sitting for long periods of time is required, get up and take a short walk and stretch every half hour to hour. Regular daily exercise can help prevent constipation.
- Change your regular diet. Increase foods that are high in fiber and easily digestible. Avoid harsh foods that can increase constipation.
- For fast relief, try drinking a large glass of water quickly every ten minutes for half an hour to an hour. This will help the body flush itself out and can provide immediate relief.
Foods to Eat to Help Get Rid of Constipation
- Fresh fruit such as apples, oranges, pears, peaches, grapes, strawberries and other berries.
- Fresh greens such as lettuce, spinach and arugula.
- High fiber foods such as plain oatmeal and whole grain brown rice.
- Beets, potatoes, beans, cabbage, and whole grain foods.
- Prunes and figs are natural laxatives.
Foods to Avoid When Suffering from Constipation
- Dairy products especially milk and cheese.
- Soft drinks, coffee and alcohol.
- Fried or fatty foods, especially meat.
- Foods high in salt, sugar and flour.