How To Get Rid Of Diarrhea
Knowing how to get rid of diarrhea will help you to get over your fear of traveling ten feet away from a bathroom. Diarrhea can be caused by everything from bacteria to food sensitivities. To get rid of diarrhea, there are several steps you can take.
You Will Need:
- Plenty of fluids
- Medicines containing loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate
- Drink up. Most people simply need to drink more fluids to help diarrhea along. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration, which is a far more serious issue than diarrhea. Fluid retention can be achieved by drinking an electrolyte mixture.
- Modify your diet. Eating foods that would normally be fine when you don't have diarrhea could make your symptoms worse with diarrhea. Dairy products and high fiber products will not help to get rid of diarrhea. Try eating foods that are low in fiber and foods that are semisolid instead.
- Over-the-counter products. There are many products that can easily be bought over-the-counter to get rid of diarrhea. Products that contain loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate are best for treating diarrhea.
- Antibiotics. If your diarrhea is the result of an underlying condition such as a bacterial infection, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics will not be beneficial to all people who have diarrhea as a result of an underlying condition. Your doctor will be able to determine the best course of treatment for conditions that are resistant to antibiotics.
The good news about diarrhea is that it usually goes away within a couple of days without much effort on your part. If it lasts more than a few days or you have other symptoms such fever, go to the doctor.