If you're a suffered of frequent or even occasional headaches but abhor the thought of swallowing an aspirin or medication to treat such, you'll be glad to know that you can learn how to rid of a headache without medicine. Ancient cultures treated headaches in a holistic manner and you can too. Some methods to get rid of a headache without medicine involve ways of releasing endorphins which are the body's own natural painkillers.
- To get rid of a headache without medicine, first try applying a wet cloth across the forehead. A cool cloth can frequently halt a pounding headache from continuing. If the headache is a side effect of a high fever such as with the flu, a cold cloth across the forehead will also lower the body temperature. If the cool compress is not helping, kick it up a notch and apply an ice pack rolled in a towel so that it's not too cold on your forehead.
- This one's going to sound strange but eat some very spicy food, as spicy as you can stand it. Try sprinkling cayenne pepper on your lunch. The spicy food will inflame the stomach lining and may cause some pain but it should be short lived as this method causes the brain to release endorphins to dull the pain. A side effect of the release of endorphins is that your headache should subside.
- Headaches are frequently caused by dehydration so drink a full glass of water. Wait ten minutes and down another eight ouncer to rehydrate the body.
- Try ingesting caffeine to get rid of a headache. A side effect of caffeine is that it opens blood vessels and thereby allows the flow of blood to be swifter. Frequently, sipping on a caffeine laden beverage, such as coke or a cup of coffee, will relieve a headache.
- If you can, take a short nap. The lying down should help relieve a pounding headache and a nap will allow you time to be relieved from the pain, even if it is while you're sleeping.
- A common wives' tale to relieve a headache is to drink a glass on orange juice. Supposedly, ingesting vitamin C should relive the headache but take this advice with a grain of salt (not literally…).
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.