How To Get Rid Of Ingrown Hairs
If you need to know how to get rid of ingrown hairs, follow this guide. Ingrown hairs occur when hair curls into the skin by being cut too short. Instead of growing straight, the tip turns into the skin layer. This type of problem usually occurs in people with curly hair or African American descent. Although it occurs more often in the beard, it can happen in the pubic region as well.
To get rid of ingrown hairs, you will need:
- Washcloth or brush with soft bristles
- Sterile needle or safety pin
- Antibiotic soap
- Wash the area. You will need to wet a washcloth or soft brush with warm water when you get rid of ingrown hairs that are not infected. Gently use a circular motion to wash the location. Do this for several minutes. It is best to do this when you are shaving or going to bed.
- Get your needle or pin. Place the sharp end underneath the hair loop and pull. Do not play tug of war with your hair. A gentle pull will do just fine. Also, make sure you use a clean object that has been sterilized in alcohol or some other solution. Ingrown hairs can get infected if you use an unsterile pin or needle. There is nothing more disturbing than a huge bump with hair growing out of it.
- Wash with soap. After removing the ingrown hair, carefully wash the area with an antibacterial soap or cleanser. You want to prevent germs from entering the area. Pat the area dry with a clean towel. Do not use a dirty towel. You will just defeat the purpose of sterilizing the site.
- Go to the doctor. Do this step only if you did not get rid of your problem. Some ingrown hairs become very infected. Pain and swelling may occur as well. Your doctor may prescribe some type of antibiotic cream, ointment or oral medication. Antibiotics are used to clear up the infection and promote healing.
Be rid of ingrown hairs by not shaving, waxing or cutting your hair. You may also consider permanent hair removal with a laser treatment or electrolysis. You can avoid the unsightly bumps that are side effects of ingrown hairs by following these tips.