How To Get Rid Of Ingrown Toenail
When your toenails start to curl and dig into your skin, you may want to learn how to get rid of an ingrown toenail. Ingrown toenails can be quite painful and cause you problems walking or even just getting your feet into a pair of shoes. Using a do it yourself method to get rid of ingrown toenails will work but they can be painful.
To get rid of an ingrown toenail, you will need:
- Nail Clippers
- Nail Scissors
- Round tipped fingernail file
- Preparation. Before you begin, you will need to soften the nail and the skin about it. You can does this by either taking a bath or shower or soaking your feet in a basin. The ingrown toenail will be much easier to work with when it is soft.
- Using the round tipped fingernail file, slide it under the ingrown toenail and work it out to the side that is growing into the skin. This can be painful. Using the clippers of the scissors cut away the toenail a little at a time.
- Visit a doctor. When all else fails, contact your doctor to have your ingrown toenail taken care of. Ingrown toenails that are extreme painful or really imbedded in the skin can require a doctors intervention to have them removed.
- Prevention. The easiest way to get rid of ingrown toenails is to prevent them in the first place or at least to catch them early on. Avoid wearing tight or poorly fitted shoes. Check toes carefully and place some cotton under the nail to keep it from growing into the toe. Be sure to change cotton at least once to day.