How To Get Rid Of Paint Smell
Learn how to get rid of paint smell and save money on aspirin, Visine and Pepto Bismol tablets. Paint fumes can make redoing your home hazardous, or at the very least, uncomfortable. A common household ingredient can rid the room of paint smells quickly and easily.
To get rid of paint smells, you will need;
- Pure vanilla extract
- Stir stick
- Open your paint cans in a ventilated area. Let them air out for 5 minutes. Paint has volatile organic compounds known as VOC's. These are what causes the intense paint fumes. Get rid of the paint smell to make painting more pleasant.
- Keep in mind, the darker or more vibrant the paint color, the more VOC's it contains. Oil based paints have even more VOC's than latex. Water-based paints have the least amount, but should still be aired out in a well-ventilated room, or better yet, outdoors, before applying to the walls.
- Purchase pure vanilla extract. Imitation vanilla will not work as well, if it works at all. A little of this product goes a long way in getting rid of paint smells, so don't be scared off by the price tag.
- Pour a tablespoon of the pure vanilla extract into the paint. Stir thoroughly until you do not see any of the liquid. Continue to mix the paint for several minutes to fully distribute the additive. It will not change the color or texture of any colored paint, it will simply get rid of the paint smell. If you are using pure white paint; add lemon extract.
- Paint the wall or piece of furniture with this vanilla-scented paint. Although, you will most likely be unable to even smell the vanilla once it is fully stirred. If you have left-over paint, reseal the can tightly. It will continue to be fume-free a week, month or year from the time you added the vanilla. This is the best way to get rid of paint smell, aside from purchasing VOC-free paint.