The first thing many people want to know when they get a cold is how to get rid of a sore throat. Sore throats are uncomfortable, making it difficult to swallow, eat and talk, and sometimes even breathing hurts. There are times when a sore throat should be seen by a qualified medical professional, however most often you can get rid of a sore throat at home.
Steps to Follow to Get Rid of a Sore Throat
- Obtain a new toothbrush Thoroughly wash the toothbrush in between uses. Bacteria and germs can remain on a toothbrush with regular rinsing, making it impossible to get rid of a sore throat.
- Over the counter remedies may be used to temporarily relieve a sore throat. These come in different varieties such as lozenges, syrups and sprays.
- Commercially produced teas designed specifically for sore throats can be beneficial to relieving pain and healing a sore throat.
- Taking the recommended amount of acetaminophen or ibuprofen may relive sore throat pain temporarily.
- Drink plenty of liquids, specifically water. If cold water further irritates the throat, try drinking warm water or tea.
- Cigarette smoking can further irritate a sore throat. Smoking with a sore throat should be avoided as much as possible to prevent further irritation.
- Eat soft foods in small bites during the course of a sore throat. This will make it easier to swallow and prevent further irritation from hard foods that may scratch the throat. Spicy foods may also cause further irritation.
- Increase the body’s intake of Vitamin C. This can be done with chewable Vitamin C supplements as well as fresh orange juice. The healing properties of orange juice and other citrus fruits will help get rid of a sore throat.
- Squeeze the juice of a fresh lemon and a tablespoon of raw honey into a glass. The acidic properties of the lemon will help heal the throat while the honey is soothing.
- Gargle with warm salt water. Mix half a teaspoon of sea salt in eight ounces warm water. Repeat every two to three hours.
- Sip sage tea. Make a sage tea by adding boiling water to a tablespoon of dried sage leaves and allow to steep for ten minutes.
- Sip warm, clear chicken or vegetable broth. It is important to keep the throat hydrated, coated and moist. When the throat becomes dry, the soreness may worsen.
When to Seek Medical Attention for a Sore Throat
- Check the back of the throat for white spots. Use a flashlight to see in the back of the throat while keeping the back of the tongue down. If the back of the throat is swollen and covered with white spots, seek medical attention immediately. This could be a sign of strep throat.
- There is swelling that occurs in the throat making it difficult to breath.
- A sore throat that worsens or persists over a long period of time despite over-the-counter and home remedies.
- When a sore throat is accompanied by a high grade fever that cannot be maintained.
- When sore throat is accompanied by a persistent cough, with or without bleeding.
With our expert tips, get ready for a great shave that’ll have you feeling silky smooth and ready for anything.
We wanted to know what annoys guys these days, so our R&D crew polled hundreds of them. The following are the seven thin ...
Of all the awful, irritating status updates out there, these ones are the worst.