Wnat to learn how to get rid of a stuffy nose? Whether your stuffy nose is caused by a common cold or allergies, you need relief for your symptoms and need to make breathing easier! There are a great number of commercial over-the-counter products, as well as natural remedies, that can be used to get rid of a stuffy nose.
Over-the-Counter Products Used to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
- Asprin, ibuprofen and other NSAID medications have anti-inflammatory properties. Taking the recommended dosage will help to reduce swelling of the nasal passages, allowing mucus to drain.
- Decongestants are available which also help to reduce swelling of nasal passages and reduce congestion.
- Menthol ointment placed on the tip and under the nose can help clear nasal passages.
Natural Remedies Used to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
- Blow a stuffy nose to remove built up mucous. If blowing does not remove mucous, do not continue blowing as this can cause the nasal passages further irritation.
- Eucalyptus oil added to a bath or vaporizer can help clear the nasal passages.
- Make a cup of peppermint tea. Sip the tea slowly, breathing in the steam. This will help open nasal passages and relieve a stuffy nose.
Additional Suggestions for Getting Rid of a Stuffy Nose
- Drink plenty of clear liquids. Keeping the body hydrated will help in clearing a stuffy nose.
- Sit or stand up. If a stuffy nose is worse when lying or sitting, standing up and taking a few steps will help clear a stuffy nose.
- Sleep with the head slightly elevated. Elevate the head at night with a stack of pillows or a folded blanket. This will help keep the nasal passages from plugging, allowing for a better night’s sleep.
For more information on treating a stuffy nose and other cold symptoms, see the latest version of Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC and James F. Balch, MD
*The information in this article is for informational purposes only and should not take the place of professional medical advice.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.