Wnat to learn how to get rid of a stuffy nose? Whether your stuffy nose is caused by a common cold or allergies, you need relief for your symptoms and need to make breathing easier! There are a great number of commercial over-the-counter products, as well as natural remedies, that can be used to get rid of a stuffy nose.
Over-the-Counter Products Used to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
- Asprin, ibuprofen and other NSAID medications have anti-inflammatory properties. Taking the recommended dosage will help to reduce swelling of the nasal passages, allowing mucus to drain.
- Decongestants are available which also help to reduce swelling of nasal passages and reduce congestion.
- Menthol ointment placed on the tip and under the nose can help clear nasal passages.
Natural Remedies Used to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
- Blow a stuffy nose to remove built up mucous. If blowing does not remove mucous, do not continue blowing as this can cause the nasal passages further irritation.
- Eucalyptus oil added to a bath or vaporizer can help clear the nasal passages.
- Make a cup of peppermint tea. Sip the tea slowly, breathing in the steam. This will help open nasal passages and relieve a stuffy nose.
Additional Suggestions for Getting Rid of a Stuffy Nose
- Drink plenty of clear liquids. Keeping the body hydrated will help in clearing a stuffy nose.
- Sit or stand up. If a stuffy nose is worse when lying or sitting, standing up and taking a few steps will help clear a stuffy nose.
- Sleep with the head slightly elevated. Elevate the head at night with a stack of pillows or a folded blanket. This will help keep the nasal passages from plugging, allowing for a better night’s sleep.
For more information on treating a stuffy nose and other cold symptoms, see the latest version of Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC and James F. Balch, MD
*The information in this article is for informational purposes only and should not take the place of professional medical advice.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.