Want to know how to get rid of a swollen perineum? Painful perineum swelling occurs in the perineal region of the body. In men, this is the area between the anus and the scrotum. The perineum consists of muscle and tissue that can become swollen or painful due to sports injuries or medical causes.
Several things can cause a painful, swollen perineum. This includes various diseases and medical conditions. Sports injuries and surgical scarring are other possible causes. Here are three common causes of perineum pain and swelling in men.
- Pudendal Nerve Entrapment. Pudendal nerve entrapment refers to a medical condition where a nerve in the pelvis (the pudendal nerve) becomes trapped or compressed. This is a common complaint among cyclists.
- Prostatitis. Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Located beneath the bladder, the gland produces some of the fluid that makes up semen. Perineum pain and swelling is a symptom of chronic prostatitis.
- Ejaculatory Duct Obstruction. Ejaculatory duct obstruction is one of several possible causes of male infertility. The condition can also produce pain and swelling in the perineal region.
The cause of perineum pain and swelling determines the treatment. Here are four common treatments for a painful, swollen perineum.
- Physical Therapy. Physical therapy, also known as physiotherapy or PT, provides stretches and exercises to reduce perineum pain. This is a common treatment for men who suffer from pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome.
- Alpha Blockers. If perineum pain is the result of prostatitis, treatment for that condition may help with the pain. For example, alpha blockers used to treat prostatitis may lesson the symptoms, such as painful urination or a swollen perineal region.
- Corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are steroid hormones often used to treat a swollen perineum. Corticosteroids and other medications mainly provide pain relief. They are usually prescribed when physical therapy has failed, and before surgery is considered.
- Surgery. Sometimes surgery is necessary to treat the underlying diseases and conditions that cause a painful, swollen perineum. This is usually a last resort, used only when other therapies and treatments fail.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!