To learn how to get the spikey hairstyle in men, you only need a spiking product and a few extra minutes. Spikey hair looks edgy and fun, and can be accomplished easily on wet or dry hair. If you have the right haircut, almost anyone can do this. The look is very versatile and can go from subtle to extreme. There are three main types: short spikes, textured, and long spikes.
- Gel, pomade, wax, or mousse (You can find men’s spiking and texture products at most grocery and drug stores)
- Hair spray
- Freshly washed hair
Short Spikes If your hair is short and layered, you may want to try this look. It’s pretty simple and can be worn for almost any occasion.
- Towel-dry your hair so that it is still damp.
- Add a small amount of gel, pomade, wax, or mousse.
- Run your hands through the hair, working toward the back. Add more product if needed.
- To create more definition, twist and separate individual pieces.
- For extra hold, spritz with hair spray.
Textured This look is great for any length of hair. It works especially well with layered hair. It is more of a messy, tousled look. Women love it!
- Start with damp or dry freshly-washed hair.
- Add a small amount of texturizing product, pomade, or wax. You can warm the product in your hands to make easier to spread.
- Work your hands through the hair and mess it up. Fluff out pieces, create volume at the roots and bangs— just have fun with it. The point is to create texture, so don’t worry if it’s a little messy.
Long Spikes This is the most extreme form of spiking. It is best accomplished when the hair is dry. You’ll need longer hair, preferably with layers. Make sure you have a product with strong hold and some hair spray. Start with freshly washed and dried hair.
- Add product to the hands, rubbing them together to warm and melt it.
- Start at the roots, and spread the product through the hair.
- Pull the hair upwards, separating and twisting individual pieces.
Make sure to use a strong hair spray, as this style is difficult to maintain if the hold isn’t sufficient.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …