How To Get Started On Twitter
When you hear the words "microblogging" and "social networking" being thrown around, you may want to join the new media world but don't know how to get started on Twitter. While the internet is flooded with a multitude of real-time media applications, Twitter proves to be one of the best ways to find and share information. Learn your way around the Twitter world and start tweeting.
- Sign up on Twitter and create a profile. Numerous Twitter clients litter the web and are available as mobile applications, but go straight to the source to join the social network. Click the "sign up" button to get started, and on the next screen, create your user profile. Enter your full name so your friends and contacts will be able to locate you.
- Pick a username, but consider alternatives. Your Twitter name can be any name of your choosing, but it needs to be available. Someone may have already chosen the name you had originally planned to take. Be creative, funny, or serious--your Twitter name will be the first way your profile will be noticed, and you want it to stand out among the rest right from the start
- Connect. Twitter is only one of a number of social networks, and it doesn't hurt to promote yourself in your other media outlets. Once you have set up your profile, connect your Twitter account to your other social networking profiles to make it easy for your contacts to find and follow you.
- Follow and be followed. For the social network to work, you need to be just that--social. Find profiles using trending topics, keywords, or the search categories; click on the profiles to follow the users. Some Twitter users will respond by following you back.
- Tweet! It's time to start doing with Twitter was meant to do. In 140 characters or less, type what you've been trying to say all along. Regularly "tweeting" will capture an audience, gain you followers, and most importantly, get you started in the world of Twitter.