The quickest way to find out how to get the title for a classic car may depend on the state where you live. If you are buying a classic car and the seller has misplaced the title, some states only require a bill of sale that shows you are now the new owner. The best way to be sure you get the title for a classic car is to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office and ask them what they need in order to issue you a title.
Things you'll need:
- Bill of sale
- Car's title
- Smog certification (optional)
- Take the bill of sale to your local DMV office. You may have to take the classic car as well if your state requires visual verification of the vehicle identification number (VIN). This is so the DMV can check to see if the vehicle is stolen or has a loan that needs to be paid to a lienholder.
- Fill out the appropriate title paperwork as specified by the DMV. They may also want to verify the odometer reading in order to get the title for a classic car. Since you would need the car with you if this is the case, ask the DMV beforehand if they need to inspect the odometer.
- If the vehicle is not stolen and has no liens, the DMV will issue you a title. The DMV may need to give you a temporary title and tag if they are not equipped to process the title for a classic car while you wait.
- Remember to contact your insurance company to add the car to your policy. Ask your insurance company if they require a copy of the title for a classic car in order to add it to your policy. They will tell you how much the premium will be and issue you an insurance card to keep in the glove box.
- Follow up with the DMV if you do not receive the title and tag. The DMV should give you an estimate on how long it will take them to process the title for a classic car. Contact them if you have not received anything within the specified amount of time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)