If you learn about how to get vomit stains out of carpet, you can save yourself the money of hiring a professional carpet cleaner to come in and do the job for you. Whether it's from your pet or a family member, you will likely face this unpleasant task at some point. Get vomit stains out of carpet and keep the stain from becoming permanent by following the instructions below.
- Clean up the mess immediately. Get vomit stains out of carpet by starting sooner rather than later. Unless you're too sick to do it, remove the vomit right away using rags, cleaning cloths or towels. The longer it sits, the more likely that the stain will become permanent.
- Start with the easiest cleaning methods first. Begin with water and move on to other solutions if needed. Get vomit stains out of carpet by using a damp cloth on the area. Don't rub on it or you will ground the vomit in to the carpet and increase staining. Also, don't spread the stain over a wider area by pouring water on the spot.
- Move on to stronger cleaners if needed. Use ammonia to get vomit stains out of carpet. Dilute ammonia with water and lightly spray the stain with the solution. Ammonia works on organic stains by breaking up and loosening the matter.
- Use a commercial carpet cleaner as a last resort. Some commercial carpet cleaning solutions can actually cause the stain to set further, so be careful what you use. Citrus-based cleaners are usually the safest option. Follow instructions carefully and don't mix cleaners together.
- Hire a professional. Hire a carpet cleaning company to get vomit stains out of carpet if all else fails. This is not generally necessary unless stains have been improperly handled or allowed to set.
A Few Reminders
- Never mix cleaners together. It can release toxic fumes.
- Always mix ammonia with water before applying to carpet. Undiluted ammonia may damage carpet.
- If you have new carpet with a warranty, follow the manufacturer's directions on how to get vomit stains out of carpet so that the warranty is not voided.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.