If you enjoy swimming you have probably been left wondering how to get water out of your ear more than once. Muffled hearing caused by water trapped in your ear can be annoying and—if it is not drained—can lead to an external ear infection commonly referred to as swimmer's ear. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps that can help you get water out of your ear.
To get water out of your ear, you will need:
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Drain the water naturally. The safest and simplest way to get water out of your ear is to let it drain naturally. Lay on your side with the ear that has water in it facing down. Simply laying like this will allow gravity to pull the water out of your ear.
- Flex your jaw. If the water will not drain naturally, tilt the ear that has water in it downward and move your jaw as if you are chewing. Pulling on your earlobe slightly at the same time might make this more effective.
- Create suction with your finger. Tilting your head as in step two, insert your finger into your ear until a vacuum is created. Move your finger in a plunging-like motion to draw the water out of your ear. Be careful doing this so as not to cause any damage or pack wax deep into your ear.
- Flush your ear with water. Though it might seem counter-productive, adding more water can help you get water out of your ear. Put some water in a dropper and tilt your head so that the affected ear is facing up. Release a few drops of water into your ear and immediately turn your head so that the affected ear is facing down. The added water will help push the trapped water out.
- Flush your ear with a solution. If the above steps do not successfully get water out of your ear you can use a solution to flush it out. Fill your dropper with a mixture of equal parts of vinegar and isopropyl alcohol. Add a few drops of the solution to the affected ear and leave it for a a few minutes. It should dry the trapped water up and kill bacteria that may have been introduced by the stagnant water.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?