Here are instructions for how to get your voice back after a sore throat. Sometimes, a sore throat causes a hoarse voice, or the complete loss of your voice because of irritation to the vocal folds or cords. When we speak, we use two membranes (vocal cords) in the larynx (voice box). These chords vibrate to make sound, and therefore allow us to speak, shout, and sing. Sore throat is usually a symptom associated with the flu or laryngitis. It is usually accompanied by a dry cough or difficulty swallowing, and can last a few days or up to a week. Here are some remedies to treat a sore throat and get your voice back:
- Suck on lozenges, cough drops, and fresh or candied ginger to soothe swelling. Lozenges contain menthol and other numbing agents that help soothe and coat your throat.
- Avoid places where there are irritants like smoke, dust and cold air. Try not to shout or yell to irritate your sore throat further. If it hurts to talk, then whisper or do not talk at all. It is recommended to not strain your voice.
- If you can endure garlic breath, sucking on a clove of garlic cut in half may speed healing. The garlic contains allicin, an antimicrobial substance.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water, and sip some warm tea with honey and lemon. Throat coat, Echinacea, fresh ginger, chamomile, and pomegranate are some of the few teas that aid in restoring your voice after a sore throat.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water, gargle several times a day. This will increase the blood supply to the sore area by washing away mucus and dilating capillaries, thereby enabling better circulation of infection-fighting antibodies.
- Soothe your sore throat and get your voice back by increasing the moisture. Use a humidifier to reduce the dry air in your home. Fill a bowl with hot water, and a few drops of essential oils such as eucalyptus or lavender and inhale the steam.
Stress and lack of sleep will weaken your immune system. Make an effort to get plenty of rest and relax until your sore throat is cured and your voice is restored.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.