How To Grill BBQ Ribs
Knowing how to grill BBQ ribs is one of the most popular ways to cook this type of meat, but there is much controversy over how it’s done. Some people prefer to parboil their ribs before putting them on the grill, while others say that this method removes a lot of the flavor from the meat. Ribs are a tough cut of meat that has strong tissue that binds the muscles together and connects it to the bone. Some people think the only way to soften this tissue is by slow and gentle cooking, either by parboiling or grilling for hours on the BBQ. But there is a simpler way to prepare grilled BBQ ribs and still have all the tender and juicy flavors.
To grill BBQ ribs you will need:
- 2 slabs pork spare ribs
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. smoke paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/2 cup dry mustard
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground pepper
To make grilled BBQ rib sauce you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup mango juice
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Rinse and dry the ribs and place on a clean cutting board. Remove the white membrane (thin, fatty skin) from the bone side of the ribs. This is the strong tissue that connects to the bone.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Apply to the ribs with your hands and press into the rib meat. Wrap in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet or pan.
- Bake the ribs for one hour in a preheated 300 degree oven. This helps to tenderize and break down the meat. Take the ribs out of the oven and let them cool for one hour.
- Set the ribs in the refrigerator for four to five hours before you plan on grilling. This can also be done the day before your BBQ.
- Prepare BBQ sauce by place the ginger, jalapeno and green onion in a food processor. Pulse until finely minced.
- Place a saucepan on the stove and heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the ginger mixture and sauté until tender.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in the pan. Mix well and let simmer for ten minutes. Season the BBQ sauce with salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat your BBQ grill to 300 degrees and place BBQ ribs meat side down and away from the flame. This keeps them from drying out.
- Grill the BBQ ribs for 30 to 40 minutes and turn once during cooking. Baste ribs every ten to fifteen minutes to avoid them from drying out.
The tropical flavors in this sauce give the grilled BBQ ribs a tangy and fresh flavor. This is a great recipe for an occasion when you don’t have hours to stand over a hot grill. These can be done a day ahead of time and then thrown on the BBQ grill for a quick and easy BBQ in under an hour. They come out tender and juicy and your friends will think you slaved over the BBQ for hours.