Take a culinary trip to the sunny Mediterranean by learning how to grill great tasting Greek shish kabobs. Boneless leg of lamb is a traditional choice for this dish, but chicken can be used as well. With a zesty marinade and a creamy finishing sauce, this dish is easy to prepare but is a refreshing change from typical backyard grilling fare.
To grill great tasting Greek shish kabobs you will need:
- Lamb or chicken
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- White wine
- Black pepper
- Green peppers
- Feta cheese
- Metal or wooden skewers
- Prepare the meat. Cut the meat into squares about 1 ½ inches in size. Make them as uniform as possible so they will be cooked evenly.
- Prepare the marinade. A recipe for how to grill great tasting Greek shish kabobs is enhanced by a flavorful marinade. In a large bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, white wine, chopped scallions, finely chopped fresh rosemary, oregano and black pepper. Add the squares of meat and let the marinade do its magic for at least four hours before grilling.
- Prepare the vegetables. Eggplant, green peppers, tomatoes and onions all fit in well with the Greek theme of the dish. Slice the vegetables into two inch pieces.
- Prepare the sauce. This sauce finishes off your recipe for how to grill great tasting Greek shish kabobs. In a small bowl combine lemon juice, chopped scallions, garlic, black pepper, feta cheese and yogurt. Sour cream can be substituted for yogurt. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Assemble the kebobs. Thread the skewers—either wood or metal—in an alternating vegetable, meat, vegetable, meat sequence. Extra vegetables can be put on their own skewers.
- Grill the kebobs. Make sure the chicken is cooked completely through and not pink. Many chefs grill lamb until it is medium rare.
- Serve the kebobs. Either serve the skewers on plates or remove the meat and vegetables from the skewers before serving. Put the sauce into individual small bowls so each diner can choose whether to dip the pieces in the sauce or pour it over the meat and vegetables. Be sure to share the secrets of how to grill great tasting Greek shish kabobs with your guests.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.