One of the easiest things to learn is how to grill halibut. Halibut steaks are usually around an inch thick and take about ten minutes to cook on a grill. Halibut has a center bone that is surrounded by four sections of boneless meat making it easy to de-bone the grilled halibut before serving. Add a light garlic butter sauce for garnish and serve grilled halibut over a bed of your favorite rice or pasta.
To grill Halibut, you will need:
- Wire BBQ brush
- 2 Halibut Steaks
- 3 garlic cloves
- Lime cut in wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt (coarse Kosher)
- Large metal spatula
- Clean and oil the grill. Always plan ahead when grilling and cook over a clean, lightly oiled grill. Whether your grill is gas or charcoal, heat the grill for ten minutes and scrape grill surface with a wire BBQ brush until all burned on bits are removed. Cool the grill and spread a generous layer of vegetable oil on the grill using a folded paper towel.
- Prepare the halibut steaks. Wash the halibut steaks in clear water and pat dry with a paper towel. Squeeze the juice from lime wedges over both sides of the halibut steaks. Brush both sides of the halibut steaks with a coat of olive oil and sprinkle with salt before grilling. When it comes to flavoring halibut, less is more. Good tips let their dinner guests add pepper if it is desired instead of including it in the recipe.
- Mix the garnish sauce. Peel three garlic cloves and chop or crush them. Put olive oil in a small skillet and sauté the garlic over a medium heat stirring frequently for two to three minutes. Stir in a tablespoon of fresh lime juice, butter, chopped cilantro, and cook for another minute until. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grill the Halibut steaks. The rules to remember for grilling halibut are to start with a hot grill, and cook the steaks for ten minutes per inch of thickness. Heat the grill to a medium high temperature. If you are using a charcoal grill, wait until the coals look ashy white. Place the halibut steaks on the grill, close the lid, and cook for five or more minutes depending on the thickness of the steak. Use a wide metal spatula to turn the halibut steaks over. Cook for another five or more minutes with the lid closed. Perfectly cooked halibut will appear white in color, no pink allowed.
- Prepare the Halibut to serve. Remove the halibut steaks from the grill. Carefully separate the meat from the center bone. There will be four equal sections of boneless halibut meat attached to the center bone. A serving size is two sections per person. Cover the grilled halibut with the garnish sauce and serve hot on a bed of wild rice or pasta
Halibut contains little natural oil making it easy to over cook it or drying it out. If you are not planning to use a marinade on halibut steak at the very least brush olive oil on both sides of the steak.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.