Invite everyone over for a cookout but first learn how to grill hamburgers to perfection. Grilled hamburgers are a time honored American tradition and a national obsession, which are reasons enough to learn to grill hamburgers properly. What is more American than hamburgers grilled in a backyard and shared with friends and family?
To grill hamburgers, you will need:
- Steel brush
- Ground chuck or turkey
- Salt, pepper, seasoning
- BBQ Spatula
- Prepare the ground meat. Place the ground meat in a bowl and add one teaspoon of salt per pound of meat. Add your favorite seasonings. With freshly washed hands, mix the seasoning into the ground meat thoroughly. Form the meat into patties that are no more than ½ inch thick. Each patty should contain about four ounces of meat which will cook down to three ounces. Place the patties on a plate, aluminum foil, or waxed paper and refrigerate until you are ready to grill the hamburgers.
- Prepare the grill. Always clean the grill before using it by heating the grill and scraping it clean with a wire BBQ brush. Let the grill cool and apply a coat of vegetable oil to the grill. Pour a small amount of oil into a folded paper towel and apply it to the cooking grill.
- Preheat the grill. Light a gas grill and set it to a medium to high flame. Close the lid and let the grill get hot (five to ten minutes). For a charcoal grill, light the charcoal and wait until the coals are covered with a white ash coating.
- Grill the Hamburgers. Place the hamburger patties on the grill while they are still cold from the refrigerator. Everyone has a preference as to how well done they like their burger. Make certain the burgers are cooked thoroughly so they are not raw inside to avoid illness. A medium burger takes three to four minutes of each side. Use a BBQ spatula with a long handle to turn the burgers. Avoid the temptation to press the juices out of the patty with the spatula so you won’t dry out the meat. When the hamburger is grilled to perfection, place the cheese on the burger to melt it for a minute.
- Grill the buns. Grilled hamburgers taste their best when they are eaten on a perfectly grilled hamburger bun. Open the bun and place both halves face down on the grill and watch them closely. It takes only one to two minutes to grill the bun. Do not leave the buns unattended to avoid burning them. Place the grilled hamburger patter between the halves of the toasted buns and add your favorite condiments.
- Keep a spray bottle full of clean water nearby when grilling. Use a spray of water to put out any fires that pop up from dripping grease.
- If you are making turkey burgers, add an egg, seasoning, and plain bread crumbs to the meat and mix well. This will hold the turkey meat together while cooking.
- The ground beef or turkey for hamburgers should contain about 15% fat. If the meat is too fatty, it will drip on the grill during cooking and cause fire and hot spots which can burn the hamburgers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.