How To Grill Tofu
While meat eaters would never think of how to grill tofu, a vegetarian would love to see it offered at the next barbecue party they attend. Grilled tofu can be served alone as a meat substitute or cut into chunks and served over salad. Even meat eaters will enjoy the taste of grilled tofu.
- Shallow baking dish
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 pkg. Extra firm tofu
- Paper towels
- Heavy dinner plate
- Sharp knife
- Plastic wrap
- Medium hot grill
- Barbecue spatula
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, peanut oil and red pepper flakes in a shallow baking dish. Stir with a fork to blend.
- Remove the tofu from the package. Wrap in paper towels and place a dinner plate on top of the block for 15 to 20 minutes to press out excess moisture.
- With a sharp knife cut the tofu block in half to create two even pieces. This creates two tofu steaks.
- Place the tofu in the shallow dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two or more hours, turning the tofu over in the marinade after one hour.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade using the spatula. Slide the tofu on a medium hot grill.
- Grill the tofu for one to two minutes per side. Remove from the grill and serve.
Tips: For a more meaty texture, slice the tofu in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap and freeze for 48 hours. Allow the tofu to thaw in the refrigerator and then marinate the tofu as outlined above.