Learning how to grill tri tip that melts in your mouth is quick and easy. The trick is to not overcook tri tip. Overcooking tri tip makes it tough. Take the meat off the grill when the internal temperature is 135° F to 150° F.
Tri tip is a rectangular piece of sirloin that is cut into roasts or steaks. When you are purchasing the tri tip for grilling, look for a piece of meat that has some marbling so the meat will be juicy. Remove the outer fat after grilling. Tri tip should be cooked medium-rare to medium. For medium rare, grill the tri tip for 30-40 minutes, and for medium, cook the meat for 40-45 minutes. A roast weighting 1 ½ to 2 pounds will serve four people.
Things you will need:
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds tri –tip
- Instant thermometer (optional)
- Drip pan or aluminum
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Brush the grill with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Start the grill and get it hot.
- Mix spices together in a bowl. Rub spices on all sides of meat.
- Place the tri tip on the grill fat side up. Sear the tri tip for about five minutes on each side and then place the meat off to the side of the direct heat. Close the lid and turn the gas grill down to medium.
- Cook 30-45 minutes. Remove the meat from the grill just before the tri tip is as done as you want it. Put the meat on a carving board and let it rest for five to ten minutes. The meat will continue to cook while it is resting.
- Slice the meat across the grain.
Use the tongs to turn the meat. If you poke the meat with a fork, the juices will be released, and it will be dry.
You can take a piece of aluminum foil and fold up the edges to make a drip pan under the meat to help prevent flare-ups on a charcoal grill.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
What to Drink on Labor Day
Seven options to see out the summer with style. And by style we mean a cool buzz.
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
A 99-pack and nine other nuggets of conversational fodder.