If you are self-proclaimed grill master, learn how to grill trout. Grilled trout is popular among seafood lovers and this recipe is sure to make you a winner at your next BBQ. Trout that has been grilled on a plank has a lot of that woodsy flavor that enhances seafood. It’s a wonderful way to cook trout and this marinade gives it all the citrus flavors of the islands. This is a simple recipe and it only takes 15 minutes to actually cook on the grill, so it’s great for an outdoor BBQ.
You will need the following:
- Untreated cedar plank
- Large, shallow baking dish
- Baking sheet covered in aluminum foil
- Spray water bottle
- Large spatula
- 2 large pieces of trout, cleaned
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Minced garlic (optional)
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Soak the cedar plank in water for 1 hour. Make sure it is submerged and has a chance to really soak up the water.
- Prepare the marinade by combining the juices of the three fruits and placing them in a small bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well. Pour the marinade in a large, shallow baking dish and set the trout in skin side up. Let this sit for 30 to 50 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat the grill to 500 degrees and transfer the trout to the middle of the cedar plank. Place fish skin side down and cover the grill immediately to retain the proper heat. This will allow it cook to even and start to smoke. The plank may catch fire while cooking, so be sure to have a spray water bottle next to the grill. If you see that a lot of smoke is coming from the grill, simply raise the hood and spray the plank until the fire goes out.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes and check for desired doneness. Some people like their fish cooked more than others, so it depends on your preferences.
- Transfer the trout and cedar plank to a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil. The plank is very hot and will burn any surface it comes in contact with. Never place it on any surface that isn’t fire resistant.
- Let the trout rest for at least 10 minutes to finish cooking and cool slightly. Remove from plank and transfer to serving dish or individual plates.
This recipe can also be altered to include your favorite marinade or you can stuff the trout with fresh herbs. Rosemary, dill and lemon thyme are all popular herbs to try. This recipe provides a lot of flavor from the smoke and it can be served along side a salad or grilled vegetables with lemon wedges. This is a great dish if you have friends that are on a diet or anyone with health concerns. It is very nutritious and unless your guests are allergic to seafood, almost anyone can enjoy it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.