How To Groom A Yorkshire Terrier
Learning how to groom a Yorkshire Terrier is not all that difficult, you just need a few pieces proper grooming equipment for the job and a whole lot of patience. Some Yorkies are not as willing to just sit still and allow you to groom them; however, that is true of any dog.
- Figuring out what type of hairstyle is your first goal. We are not here to tell you how to style a Yorkshire Terriers hair, though we have some ideas and options for you to decide. There are two main styles for Yorkshire Terrier dogs. One style is to leave the dogs hair long. If the dog is yours, allow its hair to grow. When they are puppies, their hair will be short. It could take years for a Yorkshire Terrier to grow its hair out, so allow it to grow and keep the hair very neat and clean as it matures. The next hair style is a cut, which basically leaves longer fur on the dogs legs, and head. You pretty much want to shave the Yorkies body,and leave the rest long.
- If you plan to cut the Yorkies hair, use a dog grooming shaver. Do not use a humans shaver on the dogs fur. Dog grooming shavers will not pinch or nip the dogs skin by accident.
- If the Yorkshire Terrier has long hair, in order to groom it properly you will want to, at all times, make sure the dogs fur is clear of hair balls or knots. These small hair balls and knots could turn into severe matting issues, which you cannot get rid of without shaving them off all of the dogs hair.
- A grooming table is another excellent option to have if you plan on making a dog grooming business. However, buying an expensive groomers table is necessary if you are going to be grooming your own Yorkshire Terrier. The groomers table will allow you to more easily restrain a stubborn Yorkie when you are trying to groom them.
- Dog brushes are good to have on hand at all times in order to keep the Yorkie's thinner hair type neatly brushed and kink/knot free. Brush the dogs hair daily to keep it looking its best.
- Grooming a Yorkshire Terrier does not just stop with the dogs fur. You will want to keep the dogs teeth healthy as well. There are dog toothbrushes that you can put on your finger in order to clean the Yorkshire Terriers teeth. Also, providing the dog with chew toys will keep the dogs teeth and gums healthy. Beef flavored toothpaste is also sold nearby, often in a package deal with the dog tooth brush.
- Always use dog shampoo and conditioners. Dry washes are also nice to have on hand between baths. Do not use human brand hair products on your dogs fur.