Knowing how to gut deer is important when field dressing your harvest. Yes, it's a messy job but someone's got to do it.
Things you'll need:
- sharp knife
- Gut your deer in the woods. If at all possible this is your best option. If you don't, you'll need a bucket to catch the innards when they are removed. Unless, of course, you want them scattered around your yard.
- Use a strong, thick rope. This insures the deer carcass will remain where you need it, above ground. Hanging a dead deer from its head or hind leg is the best option. This way, the task of gutting a deer remains as painless as possible. Gutting a deer from the ground can be very hard work.
- Use a sharp knife. Anyone who knows how to gut deer will have a razor sharp hunting knife at their disposal. Using a dull blade will only add unnecessary labor to an already demanding job.
- Cut from top to bottom. Slit the deer from groin to breastplate, or visa versa, depending on how you have your harvest hanging. Be sure to do this slowly because you don't want to cut the stomach open.
- Cut the guts loose. After you've cut the mid-section open, reach in and slowly begin to cut the innards away from the carcass. If in your yard, the bucket will come in handy directly below the deer at this point. Pull the guts with one hand while you cut with the other. They'll leave the open cavity easier this way. Once the guts are cut free, you should have a completely hollow deer carcass. If using a bucket, properly discard the innards.
You now know how to gut deer.
Tip: Be very careful while using sharp instruments.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…