Learn how to hang a rug and create unique wall art. Using rugs as wall decor is very 'in' right now, as it is easy to do and can be done fairly inexpensively. In this article, you'll learn step-by-step instructions on how to hang a rug that is heavy, as well as one that is lightweight.
Materials needed to hang a rug:
- Needle and heavy-duty thread
- Cotton casings
- Wooden rod
- Carpentry level
- Metal shower curtain rings
- Hammer and nails
- Velcro strips
How to hang a rug:
- How to hang a rug with shower curtain rings. If the rug you will be hanging is fairly lightweight, you can use metal shower curtain rings to support it's weight. Simply sew several rings onto the back of the carpet using heavy-duty thread. Distribute the rings evenly at a space of approximately 1 1/2" – 2" apart. Then, hammer nails into the wall where the rings will connect.
- How to hang a rug that is heavy. If the rug you will be hanging is exceptionally heavy, you will need to install cotton casings on the back of the rug to support its weight. To do this, use a carpentry level to ensure that the cotton casing is level, then use heavy-duty thread to sew the casing into place. Once you have sewn in the casing, you can simply slide a wooden rod through the casing and hang on the wall.
- How to hang a rug that is lightweight. Very lightweight rugs can be hung using Velcro strips. These strips can be found at craft stores and are sold where the sewing materials are typically found. Some Velcro strips do not even require sewing; simply peel and stick on the back of the rug. A separate Velcro strip can be mounted to the wall. Then, press the Velcro pieces together and your rug is hung.