How To Have Good First Date Conversations
Learning how to have good first date conversations is the equivalent of learning to tie your shoes in the world of relationships. A good first date conversation can help you and your date find common ground, become more comfortable with each other and lead to future dates. Take advantage of the following advice the next time you take a girl on a date:
- Exercise positive body language. Your body language can say a lot more than your actual words during a first date. Show your date you are interested in her conversation by maintaining eye contact. Tapping your feet or fingers can indicate you are nervous, and crossing your arms may give your date the impression that you do not want to get closer to her or that you are upset. Maintain a relaxed posture, like you would with a friend, during your first date conversations.
- Keep the topics of conversation light yet interesting. Avoid talking about past relationships, politics and religion as these conversations on a first date can quickly spoil the evening. Instead, focus on having conversations that allow you to learn more about your date. For example, ask her about her favorite places to travel, foods, hobbies and dream vacations.
- Know when it is time to change the subject. There may be topics that interest you, but bear no significance to your date. If you see your date start to look around the room, doodle, look off into space or yawn a lot as you tell her about your awesome, level 49 elf on your favorite computer game, it is time to find a different first date conversation topic (even if you just earned 10,000 GP on a quest).
- Do not treat the first date like an interview. A good first date conversation does not involve you bragging about yourself. Nor does it entail you playing twenty questions. Instead of asking your date if she has any brothers or sisters, state the question as a phrase. For example, “I have the feeling you are not an only child.”
- Avoid one-answer questions. A first date will get boring really fast if you only ask questions your date can answer with a one-word sentence. Use open-ended questions during your first date to learn more information about the girl with whom you are spending time.