How To Have Good First Dates
It is hard to know how to have good first dates if you are new to the dating scene. You already accomplished the first hard step to a first date: asking the girl to go out with you. The second half of the battle is having a good enough first date that she will jump at the opportunity for a second date. Use the following formula to help you have a fantastic first date:
- Be clean, smell clean, and look clean. Keep in mind that you are trying to impress a girl, and a fresh, clean appearance and smell helps on a first date. So, shower, brush your hair, brush your teeth, shave that five o’clock shadow, and splash on some aftershave. However, when it comes to cologne, too much of a good thing is not always desirable. Remember, you want to smell clean, not smell like you bathed in your body spray.
- Be on time. There is no such thing as being fashionably late, especially when it comes to first dates. Show up at the agreed upon time, if not a little early.
- Act like a gentleman. With the exception of the bathroom door, open all the doors for your date. Offer your date the opportunity to go first from everything to the breadbasket to sharing a bowl of popcorn. Speak as a gentleman would speak by refraining from obscene language, curse words or asking questions that will cause your date to blush from embarrassment.
- Go somewhere fun. Good first dates do not always have to involve dinner and a movie. Change the routine by trying a fun activity together, such as mini-golf, playing a game of pool, having a picnic or visiting a chocolate tasting room.
- Learn more about your date with the right conversations. Save yourself from the awkward silence that can happen on a first date by having conversations that allow you to know more about your date’s interests, family life, hobbies, job and so on. Learning about these things on a first date will show your date you take an interest in her and can give you ideas for a good second date.
- Pay for the date. They may say chivalry is dead, but you can help revive it. When the check arrives at dinner, instantly grab it. Have your wallet out and ready to pay for tickets when you arrive to the counter at a movie or concert. This gesture on a first date will help your date know your parents taught you manners.
- Take the end of the night slowly. When it is time to depart, at minimum give your date a sincere kiss on the cheek if the night went well. Keep in mind, however, that an average first date with a great kiss at the end can turn into an awesome date.