How To Have A Long Distance Relationship
When you love someone who's far away, you probably want to know how to have a long distance relationship. While it can be trying at times, long distance relationships are manageable. For some people, it's the ideal relationship because they operate better on their own.
- Make a commitment. Before you enter into a long distance relationship, make sure there is a commitment. It sounds silly, but too many people assume that because they are seeing someone, it means the relationship is monogamous. "Long distance" and "long term" don't always fit hand in hand. Better to find out how she feels before she moves away.
- Tell the truth. When you want to have a long distance relationship, it's important to tell the truth. You and your sweet thing aren't able to see each other so you don't have the benefit of looking at facial expressions and body language. Be honest about your intentions whether she's one hundred or one thousand miles away.
- Stay in contact. Regular contact makes all the difference when you have a long distance relationship. Technology allows you to use web cams, email, instant messaging and phones. There's no reason not to be in touch, and regular contact helps to maintain the long distance between you.
- Spend time. Schedule a rendezvous when you want to have a long distance relationship. Make the trips fun-take turns meeting up in your home cities and periodically, meet somewhere new. Explore the city, wherever you are, creating fresh memories. It's not always quantity that's meaningful, but the quality of time that counts.
- Stoke the fire. Keep the fire burning when you have a long distance relationship. Send presents, make silly movies, take pictures and remember special occasions (birthday, anniversary, etc.). When she unexpectedly receives flowers and a sexy note, you're stoking the fire.
- Fill your time. Filling the time you spend alone is invaluable when you're in a long distance relationship. Hopefully you had a full life before your sweet thing came along but if you didn't, get one. Enjoy your hobbies and passions! Take a class or join a club. Spend time with your family and friends. Whatever you do, don't spend time in the bars or at typical singles' hangouts.